According to a new survey, Bali is the top bucket list travel destination in the world.Getty
What's on your travel bucket list?If you're like most people, the more you travel, the more places you'll add to your bucket list. So if website editorsBig 7 TravelWe've announced the list of the top 50 bucket list destinations in the world, we've stopped and started ticking the boxes.
The website surveyed its 1.5 millionpublic socialto determine the best bucket list places around the world. According to Sarah Clayton-Lea, head of content at Big 7 Travel, the site compiled this list for the first time. "The travel wish list has been a trend that's emerged consistently in previous surveys when we asked our readers what type of travel content they preferred to consume," says Clayton-Lea. "So our curiosity got the better of us and we wanted to know what travel destinations people are dreaming of for 2019/2020."
SEE MORE INFORMATION:"Why you should skip Iceland and go to these 9 under-the-radar places"
The results of the top 50 bucket list travel destinations in the world include some of the most beautiful places in the world. "White sandy beaches are still a must for many, and vibrant cities are also on many people's wish lists," says Clayton-Lea. Countries with naturally beautiful landscapes and world-famous attractions performed best: 22% of the list's destinations have white sandy beaches, while 52% are famous cities.
The famous colorful district of Bo Kaap in Cape Town, South Africa.Getty
In the study, Big 7 Travel found that people are also more likely to add a travel destination to their list if they've seen it on social media, and 33% of people searched for vacation destinations on their Instagram feed. Instagram for travel inspiration, it makes sense that cities with colorful neighborhoods (like Bo Kaap in Cape Town) make the cut,” says Clayton-Lea.
Bali topped the list of the world's 50 most popular travel destinations, but there were also some unexpected choices. "The top 10 list has many expected dream destinations, but there are a few surprises on the list: Paro Valley in Bhutan, for example, or Virunga National Park in Congo," says Clayton-Lea. "I think that shows a great appetite for the need to go offline and I can only assume that social media (and Netflix in Virunga's case!) are responsible for publicizing these amazing places."
An interesting fact discovered in the study: most people have an average list of just 11 places with hopes of visiting seven of those places in their lifetime. No matter how many places are on your bucket list, this ranking will have you dreaming of places near and far.Read the top 50 bucket list destinations in the world and what Big 7 Travel has to say about each one.
Jungle views from one of Bali's most acclaimed swings.Getty
1. Bali, Indonésia:“You will find beaches, volcanoes, Komodo dragons and jungles that are home to elephants, orangutans and tigers. Basically it is a paradise. You've probably seen a picture of Bali on social media at least once in the last seven days. since it's such a popular bucket list destination for 2019."
2. Nova Orleans:"Known for its street music, party atmosphere and melting pot of French, African and American cultures, this lively city is well worth a visit. NOLA is a city full of adventure around every corner and should be on everyone's must-visit list."
3. Kerry, Irland:“In the west of Ireland lies one of the most picturesque counties in the country. Kerry's mountains, lochs and coastline are postcard-perfect, and that's before Killarney National Park. The small, unique towns like Dingle add to its charm. "
El Badi Palace in the Medina of Marrakech.Getty
4. Marrakech, Morocco:“This ancient walled city is home to mosques, palaces and lush gardens. It is known as the Red City because of the color of the brick walls that surround the city. The Medina is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.”
5. Sydney:“Sydney is known around the world as one of the greatest and most iconic cities in the world. Amazing things to do aren't hard to find; the city has beautiful beaches, great cafes and world-class entertainment everywhere you look.”
6. The Maldives:“This tropical Indian Ocean nation is made up of more than 1,000 coral islands. It is home to some of the most luxurious hotel resorts in the world, with white sand beaches, underwater villas and restaurants, and sparkling blue waters.”
7. Paris, France:“Paris, one of the most famous cities in the world, is at the top of many people's bucket list. You will see so many famous sights here: the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame Cathedral - the list is endless. "
8. Cape Town, South Africa:"Cape Town is a dream place to visit: endless natural beauty and cliff-top views, pastel pink neighborhoods and turquoise waters."
9. Dubai, United Arab Emirates:"Dubai, the flying city of the United Arab Emirates, is one of the most fascinating travel destinations you will ever visit and is particularly popular with Big 7 Travel readers."
Sunset In Bora Bora, French Polynesia.Getty
10. Bora Bora, French Polynesia:“Bora Bora is Tahiti's most famous island. How do overwater bungalows and underwater adventures sound to you?
11. New York:“New York is one of the most exciting states in America. With enchanting rural landscapes, world-class cuisine and culture, and more things to do than you could possibly do in a lifetime. All five districts of the city have special characteristics; it is almost impossible to reduce them below"
12. Dubrovnik, Croatia:"As George Bernard Shaw once said, 'Those who seek heaven on earth should come to Dubrovnik.' With its winding streets, cliff-top beach bars and UNESCO-listed Old Town, it's no wonder Dubrovnik is such a popular spot.
Carlton Hill in Edinburgh, Schottland.Getty
13. Edinburgh, Scotland:"With historic Edinburgh Castle towering over the city, culture galore and wonderfully friendly locals, this is one of the greatest city breaks in the world."
14. Rome, Italy:"Whether it's your first time in Rome or your 50th, the best thing about this city is that you discover something new every time you stroll the quaint streets."
15. Paro-Tal, Bhutan:The Paro Valley is known for its monasteries, fortresses (ordzong) and dramatic landscapes. Located between China and India, Bhutan is a mysterious country that prides itself on sustainable tourism. Here you will find Paro Taktsang, a sacred site of Himalayan Buddhism."
Inside the Jal Mahal Palace at sunset in Jaipur, India.Getty
16. Jaipur, If:“Jaipur is known as the 'Pink City' because of its pale terracotta buildings. This was originally done to impress Prince Albert during his tour of India in 1876 on the orders of the Maharajah (Sawai Ram Singh). Even today it is illegal to paint. Buildings of any other color."
17. Waikato, New Zealand:“Waikato, a region on New Zealand's North Island, is home to vast underground caves, lush rainforest and the bustling city of Hamilton. But the main attraction of the area? A Middle-earth adventure on the film set ofLord of the rings.Hobbiton Movie Set still has the original Hobbit holes from the production of the films."
18. Havana, Cuba:“Cuba's capital is almost 500 years old and colourful. Brightly painted buildings and vintage cars make Havana a photogenic dream.”
View of Tokyo Skytree and the city skyline from the Tobu Levant Hotel.Photo courtesy of Jonathan Bloom
19. Tokyo, Japan:"Visiting Tokyo is like visiting the future - flashing neon lights, amazing technology - but there's still a rich sense of culture and history."
20. Antarctica:“Antarctica, the southernmost continent on earth, is a unique travel destination. No other place compares to the extreme remoteness of this snowy place. It's not an easy journey, but you'll be rewarded with breathtaking views of the white desert, kayaking in the icy sea and sightings of whales."
21. Vancouver, Canada:“Vancouver is surrounded by water but close to the mountains and has art, restaurants andmontesof other attractions to keep you entertained."
22. Los Angeles:“In a city of year-round sunshine, glamorous bars, beaches and walking paths, there are so many great experiences to enjoy in Los Angeles. No wonder there are almost 50 million 'LA' hashtags on Insta.”
In Kruger National Park, South Africa.Getty
23. Kruger National Park, South Africa:“The Kruger National Park is a vast expanse of northeastern South Africa that is home to a wide variety of wildlife. The park offers all kinds of safari experiences and gives you the opportunity to escape from busy city life and get back to nature.”
24. Santorini, Greece:“Santorini is actually an archipelago: Thíra, Thirassiá, Asproníssi, Palea and Nea Kaméni. Black or red volcanic sand beaches and clear blue waters make this an ideal vacation spot. With its famous Santorini sunset, it's no wonder it's one of the most popular bucket list destinations."
25. Moscow, Russia:“Moscow, the cosmopolitan capital of Russia, is a beautiful destination any time of the year. Colorful domes and bells ring in over 600 of the city's churches, and the sense of history is immense. Culture lovers will be impressed by the museums and the ballet.”
26. Singapore: “Singapore is a small island city-state in southern Malaysia that is of global importance. It's a modern city with colorful buildings, futuristic bridges and a cloud forest.”
London Westminster Bridge.Getty
27. London, England:“Pretty pink restaurants, futuristic space-age bathrooms and views of the jungle skyline are just a few of our favorite London attractions. And of course all the classics: Big Ben, red telephone boxes and stylish museums and galleries worldwide.”
28. Rio de Janeiro, Brasilien:"Rio de Janeiro has always been one of the most iconic cities in the world, with instantly recognizable landscapes and landmarks."
29. Petra, Jordan:“The ancient Nabataean city of Petra in southern Jordan is surrounded by beautiful red cliffs and steep gorges. The Wonder of the World is undoubtedly Jordan's greatest treasure and greatest tourist attraction.”
30. Hongkong:“Famous for its skyline and vibrant food scene which most people enjoyNOwhat is known is that 70% of Hong Kong is made up of mountains and lush parks. Colorful playgrounds and sci-fi apartment blocks give Hong Kong an enviable advantage."
Beach and sea waves shot from above in Barbados.Getty
31. Barbados:“Barbados is one of those magical holiday destinations that everyone dreams of. Whowouldn't goput this on your wish list? Nestled in the Southern Caribbean, it offers breathtaking beauty and wonderful local culture and is the perfect place to unwind."
32. Amsterdam:"Forget clichéd images of tobacconists and bright red lights. From floating flower markets to bohemian quarters, this city has it all."
33.Santiago, Chile:"Santiago is a cosmopolitan city with the best of Chilean culture; art galleries, design shops and craft markets, as well as a lively Latin American nightlife. You will stroll through historic neighborhoods with beautiful winding streets and charming bars and cafes."
34. Cairo, Egypt:"Cairo is one of the oldest cities in the world. Located on the banks of the Nile, with wonderful museums, vibrant culture and friendly locals, it's a great vacation."
Cycling in Copenhagen.Getty
35. Copenhagen, Denmark:“Copenhagen's rustic fishing ports, modern graffiti and winding red brick streets are just some of the reasons it's such a nice bucket list destination. It exudes Scandinavian freshness from every corner, with top quality food, elegant design and an ever-modern vibe."
36. Seoul, Korea:“Seoul is a vibrant metropolis where old meets new, with pop culture (K-Pop!) alongside Buddhist temples.
37. Laucala Island Resort, Fiji:"Laucala Island Resort is a private island in Fiji, in absolute paradise. It is one of three small islands off the northeast coast of Taveuni in Fiji. There are coconut palms, a sustainable farm and miles of beaches, as well as coral reefs, map-perfect picture-postcard beaches and more lush rainforest."
38. Providence, Kolumbien:“The Colombian island of Providencia is the perfect blend of South America and the Caribbean. It's best known for Crab Cay: a small, unspoilt island where all you have to do is snorkel and lounge on the beach.”
Fotografando Machu Picchu, Peru.Getty
39. Machu Picchu, Peru:"The best way to get here? Arrive in style at Machu Picchu on the 360° train that takes you through the Peruvian countryside to the Lost City. The large picture windows are perfect for taking in the views, and pisco sours are served on board. "
40. Virunga National Park, Democratic Republic of the Congo:“Virunga National Park is one of the most biologically diverse areas on earth and home to the endangered mountain gorilla. It's filled with lush rainforests and has received even more attention since the documentary was madeVirunga."
41. Lisbon, Portugal:"Lisbon, the hilly capital of Portugal, is picture postcard with its cobblestone streets, crystal clear waters and Atlantic beaches."
42. Hanoi, Vietnam:"Hanoi - the capital of Vietnam - is known for its rich history, bustling street life and centuries of French, Asian and Chinese influences, all fused into one bustling city. It makes a wonderful base for exploring North Vietnam, including Halong Bay and Sapa while enjoying the comforts of a modern and vibrant city."
A view of Magic Island Honolulu and Waikiki Beach.Getty
43. Hawaii:“From the hustle and bustle of Oahu to romantic Maui to off-the-beaten-path adventures on Lanai and Molokai. The Hawaiian Islands are a true paradise. Explore canyons and colorful waterfalls and eat your body weight in fresh gulps.”
44.Ibiza, Spain:"While you have your fair share of techno club experiences, Ibiza is also one of the prettiest Spanish islands, with a gorgeous old town and picturesque beaches. Spend your days at the beach and your nights at legendary clubs."
45. Peking, China:“Beijing is China's political, economic and cultural center, with six UNESCO World Heritage sites in this city alone. Discover the Forbidden City, Peking duck street food and of course the Great Wall of China.”
46. Budapest, Hungary:“Hungary's capital, Budapest, is a fairytale city in Eastern Europe. The city itself is separated by the 19th-century Chain Bridge, which connects hilly Buda with flat Pest – hence the name Budapest.”
Photographing Vernazza in Cinque Terre.Getty
47. Cinque Terre, Italian:"Is there anything more beautiful than this area of centuries-old seaside villages on the rugged coastline of the Italian Riviera? The five towns (Manarola, Riomaggiore, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso al Mare) areCompletedfor bucket lists."
48. Buenos Aires, Argentina:"Bookstores in palatial theaters, tango dancing in the streets and brightly painted neighborhoods are just some of the things that make Buenos Aires so beautiful."
49.Las Vegas:"With the bright lights, party atmosphere and endless things to see and do, it's no wonder Las Vegas has become a glitzy global tourist destination. Enjoy casinos until the wee hours or experience world-class Entertainment."
50: Matterhorn, Switzerland:"The Matterhorn is one of the most iconic peaks in the world - the pyramid-shaped mountain, which is very difficult to climb, is said to be the most photographed mountain in the world."
SEE MORE INFORMATION:
•"Rank: The 20 Most Dangerous Places To Live"
•"Bucket List Travel: The 50 Best Places in the World"
•"Why you should skip Iceland and go to these 9 under-the-radar places"
•"23 surprising things that will get you into trouble in Italy"
•"Bucket List Travel: Top 10 Places in the World and Top 29 in the US."